Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Driving To Work Alone

My drive into work takes about 45 minutes so I have plenty of time to think--and to listen to music.  If I ride alone, I tend to listen to music that I would not chose if Sue was in the car.

Jazz is not my first musical choice, but my explorations of music in college did lead me to some jazz that I like to listen to.

One of those groups is the Modern Jazz Quartet.  Their conceit is that they are a chamber group playing jazz and, at times, their sound does feel quite similar to the effect of a classical chamber ensemble.  If we accept Goethe's definition of chamber music as "four rational people conversing", MJQ fits.  All four members played together as a quartet in the Dizzy Gillespie Band before striking out on their own.

Today's listen was The Artistry of the Modern Jazz Quartet, a compilation of their work 1952-1955.  They supposedly created the cool jazz form.  Four brilliant individual players weave a magical melody together with space for solo sounds, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment