Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Birthday Boy

It's the 12th day of Christmas again and I get another year tacked onto the same old carcass.  Sis and my oldest brother called with birthday greetings.  We don't talk as much as maybe we should.

I'm still celebrating these birthdays because Mahatma Gandhi's grandson decided to become a heart surgeon, came to Topeka, Kansas, to practice his art, and took me as a patient.  2012 marks the 20th anniversary of that meeting.

With a nervous laughter, we all tell ourselves that time marches on,  but after a while things in your life really do begin to change, to alter, to evolve without any conscious effort on our part.

In my mind's eye, my youngest brother is still 5 years old, but this year he turns 56 with 2 grandchildren.  In my mind's eye, I am between 35 or 40 years old but I'm actually twice that age. No wiser, just older.  One young cousin has caught on and now calls me old man (she somehow resents my constant family picture-taking, too). Another, even younger, cousin just calls me The Man--when she's in a good mood.

People wonder if they deserve the kindnesses of others.  I like the Buddhist idea that taking good care of yourself is taking good care of your family and friends, too.  Compassion given comes back to you in multiples.

Am I the happiest man on the planet?  I am today.  Sue makes that happiness possible everyday and I try very hard to appreciate her love and understanding.  It's not easy for her on some days.

Luckily for all of you, I only get this sappy one day of the year and that day will be over soon.

Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment